I’m a chocolate cake girl, but all my kids are lemon drizzle lovers. They are obsessed with this luscious lemon drizzle cake which is so easy and quick to make. It makes the perfect after school snack, lunch box delight or it can be jazzed up with a fancier topping to make a celebration cake.
My version of the cake is gluten, dairy and refined sugar free, so it’s an excellent treat for those following a GAPS or Paleo diet. It’s important to use Gluten Free Baking Powder that does not contain aluminium.
It’s packed with lemon flavour and can be made in ten minutes. Seriously, what’s not to love?!
The luscious lemon drizzle cake can be left without a topping, but it is also delicious with blueberry compote.
Luscious Lemon Drizzle Cake
- 4 Eggs
- 125 grams Honey
- 500 grams Almond Flour
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1 tsp Baking Powder gluten free
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 4 Lemons zest of two, juice of all four
- Preheat oven to 160.
- In a bowl, add eggs, honey and vanilla. Mix until they are combined.
- Grate the zest of two lemons into the bowl.
- Add in the almond flour and stir until combined.
- Add salt and baking powder, stir until combined.
- Transfer the mixture to a round or square tin, put in pre-heated oven and bake for 20 -25 minutes.
- Whilst the cake is cooking, juice two lemons and set aside.
- When the cake is cooked and still hot poke it all over with a knife to make slits throughout.
- Pour the lemon juice all over the cake, leave for 30 minutes to allow the juice to sink into the almond sponge.