Is there a better taste and feeling than having a freshly baked cookie? Everything about the experience is a sensory experience: mixing the batter, licking the spoon, the smell when they’re cooking, the taste! My kids go wild for these GAPS fudgy chocolate cookies.
This is my go to cookie recipe. My son has severe eczema and follows a grain, dairy and egg free diet at the moment. Being a kid with food restrictions is hard, these cookies allow him a treat now and again. As a family, we generally we follow The Nourishing Traditions Food Pyramid which focuses on raw dairy, nose to tail animal products and fermented vegetables. I hope to get my kid to a point that he too can eat the way.
These GAPS fudgy chocolate cookies can be made in advance or batch cooked. They freeze well or can be stored on the counter or fridge for a week. I like to store them in the fridge as the cold air makes them super fudgy. I always make numerous batches at Christmas time as they make the perfect present: minimal effort, but look and taste amazing.
You don’t need any special equipment, the mix is so soft it is easily stirred by hand with a wooden spoon. All the ingredients are easily purchased either in supermarkets, health food shops or online from Well Easy. Preparation time is 15 minutes, and cooking time 12 minutes so you’ll be making them all the time too!
GAPS Fudgy Chocolate Cookies
- 750 gram Almond Flour
- 120 gram Cacao Powder
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Baking Powder Gluten Free
- 125 ml Coconut Oil Melted and Cooled
- 125 ml Raw Honey Sub for Maple Syrup if not GAPS
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- Preheat the oven to 160
- In a small pan melt the coconut oil, when melted remove from heat and allow to cool
- In a large bowl, add the dry ingredients – almond flour, cacao powder, salt and baking powder. Mix to combine.
- In a small bowl, combine the cooled coconut oil, honey and vanilla
- Pour the wet ingredients into the bowl with the dry ingredients. Stir to combine
- Divide the mixture into small bowls and lay on a baking tray. The mixture will make around 18 cookies
- Flatten each cookie
- Cook in a pre-heated oven for 10-12 minutes
- Allow to cool on the baking tray before transferring to a wire rack to fully cool