We are entering are third week of the GAPS introduction diet, tentatively moving from Stage one to two with a the aim to get to Stage three in the next few days. We have eaten all the soup! So much soup – breakfast, lunch, dinner and every snack in between.
I make a fresh batch stock daily, this stock is the basis of everything we eat. The stocky / soup diet is working. There has been a huge amount of healing happening. My son has literally been shredding his skin. The rough and flaky eczema ridden skin that has plagued him for so long has started to flake away revealing soft, beautiful ‘normal’ looking skin beneath. It’s truly amazing to see it. After months of making zero progress within ten days following the GAPS introduction protocol there has been a huge step towards healing.
We have eaten all the soup – in its many forms: chicken, fish and beef. To make things more exciting I have made purple soup (once you have made the stock add a head of purple cabbage to make the soup). This was a big success and my kid loved it.
We have eaten all the soup: Carrot Soup with Meatballs
Another favourite we have been enjoying is carrot soup with meatballs. For extra nutrition, I make the meatballs with liver. My kid was so delighted to have these meatballs he ate six in one sitting! They really were a treat!
Later this week, we are going to move onto stage three. My son is super excited to eat avocado and eggs. His resilience throughout this is nothing short of amazing. He is always happy, he never complains even though he has eaten all the soup for the past fortnight. He can see and feel himself healing and that is incredible to experience both for him and for me. I can see a light whereas before it was only discomfort and worry. I know that being on this path is the right one for him, for us and for our future.
Carrot Soup & Meatballs
- 1 Litre Stock Chicken or Beef
- 8 Carrots
- 2 Onions
- 750 grams Minced Beef
- 500 grams Liver
- 2 Egg Yolks Only use yolks for stage two
- Wash, peel and cut the carrots.
- Add the prepared carrots and onion to the stock
- Bring to a boil and simmer for 30 minutes until the carrots are soft
- Remove from heat to cool
- Whilst cooling, prepare the meatballs
- Mix the mince with the liver and egg yolk until all combined
- Form into balls, it makes around 16 balls
- Set aside
- With an immersion blender, whizz the carrots and onions into the stock until they are all combined
- Put the soup back onto the heat and bring to a simmer
- Carefully add the meatballs one at a time, put the lid on the pan and gently heat them through for around 15 minutes
- Enjoy the meatballs in the soup or eat them seperately. Either way this meal is delicious!